Lip Augmentation People think of areas such as the cheeks when they think of the volume loss that comes with aging. But the lips are victims, as well. Our declining collagen production makes us more prone to sagging skin all over our bodies, but it also thins the lips. At Suria Plastic Surgery, we use dermal fillers to add volume and shape to the lips.
What Is Lip Augmentation?
Collagen is the protein responsible for creating a structural support framework under the skin, this decrease leads to sagging and volumeloss. This decrease affects the lips by thinning them out. It also allows vertical lip lines, sometimes called “barcode lines,” to form. Lip Augmentation is referred to the treatments used to add volume and shape the lips.
Ideal Candidates for Lip Augmentation
If your lips seem thinner than they used to be, augmentation could be a great option for you. Or, if you’ve never been satisfied with the shape, fullness, or even the symmetry of your lips, augmentation can give you the lips you’ve always wanted.
Lip augmentation Benefits
At Suria Plastic Surgery, our goal is to enhance your lips in two ways — to add definition and create symmetry, and to smooth out fine lines and wrinkles on the lips and the areas immediately surrounding the mouth. These are some specifics:
- Fullness in the center— Beautiful lips are more full in the center, with that fullness tapering off at the corners.
- Cupid’s bow— We add definition to this area in the middle of the upper lip, which looks the most attractive when it is well defined and when the two sides are equal.
- Side-to-side symmetry— We make both sides of the lips equal for patients bothered by a lack of balance or symmetry.
- Profile projection— When someone is seeing your lips from the side, the upper lip should project slightly beyond the lower lip.
lip Enhancement Procedure
A lip augmentation session at Suria Plastic Surgery takes from 30 minutes to one hour. Certain options such as Restylane® Silk have lidocaine in the filler, so there is no pain involved. Otherwise, very tiny needles are used for augmentation, so pain is minimal. If you desire, we can use a local numbing agent prior to your session. There is no recovery time.
What dermal fillers do you use for lip augmentation?
At Suria Plastic Surgery, we use hyaluronic acid fillers for lip augmentation. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance in the body whose job is to lump and hydrates the skin. Hyaluronic acid can do this because it is able to hold 1000 times its weight in water. When injected into the lips, the hyaluronic acid binds with nearby water molecules to add volume and definition.
These are the hyaluronic acid fillers we use for lip augmentation.
- Juvederm® Ultra XC Juvederm®is a large family of dermal fillers; two are used for lip augmentation, Ultra XC and Volbella XC. Juvederm® Ultra XC is intended to visibly plump the lips. Ultra can add definition to the borders and fill volume throughout.
- Juvederm® Volbella XC Volbella XC was added in 2016 as a subtler alternative to Ultra. While Ultra provides significant volume to the lips, Volbella is formulated to add subtle volume and to smooth lip lines. Volbella creates natural looking results that aren’t as dramatic.
- Restylane® Silk Like Juvederm®, the Restylane® family of dermal fillers has also been expanding. Restylane® Silk is specifically formulated for lip augmentation and for filling vertical lip lines. Compared with the other Restylane® fillers, Silk is formulated with smaller hyaluronic acid particles, making it perfect for plumping and adding volume to the lips, but not in an overly showy way.
How long will my results last?
Juvederm® Volbella and Ultra will add volume and shape to your lips for up to one year. At that point, the body will fully absorb the hyaluronic acid and your results will begin to flag. Restylane® Silk lasts around six months.
What are the risks involved with lip augmentation?
The main side effect/risk with lip augmentation is redness and swelling at the injection sites. This usually lasts a day or so, but is not severe. There can also be some mild bruising, but it can easily be covered with lipstick or makeup. To minimize any swelling or bruising, gently icing your lips immediately after your session is helpful. There is a chance of developing lumps, but that is rare and can be reversed immediately with an injection of an enzyme that neutralizes the hyaluronic acid.
Schedule a Consultation
If you are interested in Lip Augmentation treatment to give your lips the volume and shape you always desired, contact our office today at (954) 472-8355 to schedule a consultation. Our practice serves Plantation, Fort Lauderdale, Miami and surrounding areas in FL.